Sunday, March 1, 2009

Because I have been GIVEN much I too must give.....

Today was a very spiritual and uplifting day at church for me. The testimonies given during sacrament were amazing and our closing song was "Because I have been given much I too must give." This is a special hymn to me because it was my Grandma Olsen's favorite. She passed away about 5 years ago and we sang this song at her funeral. When I opened the hymn and saw what it was I got a rush of the spirit. As we began to sing I only made it through one verse before my eyes started to water and the tears followed for the rest of the verses. I was overwhelmed with the thought that I have been given so much and I need to give so much more to many. I am so grateful for all the wonderful things I have in my life. I have been so blessed and in return I need to give thanks to my father in heaven and serve as much as I can to anyone in need. Being here in Ohio in my ward I have had many experiences where I can serve and I am so happy that I can be of help to those in need. I hope and pray that I can keep focused on what I do have and not what I don't have. We have been struggling with not being able to get pregnant for the last year and a half and I know that one day both Todd and I will be blessed to be parents. We know there is a time for everything and the Lord has a will and a way for us.....we just have to keep our faith strong and continue forward.

Today was a reminder to keep focused and to remember why we are here. We are here to learn and to grow in the gospel. We are here to learn from our trials and tribulations. We are here to learn from each other and to share what we know in our hearts. Each day we may touch someones heart with a little bit of who we are. We need to be examples in our everyday lives and to be more Christ like.

I am not sure why I felt like sharing all this to those that are reading but I felt very strongly about getting it out. I hope that it helps or at least gets some of you thinking about your own personal lives. Thanks for reading and for listening my thoughts.
Love you all!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet and we all need to be reminded of our blessings. You will be a great Mom one day. It's hard to wait for certain blessings, but we really do appreciate it more when it comes.

Noelle said...

Ashley, Thanks for sharing this. That song is also my favorite and touched me deeply on Sunday as well. Though things may not always go the way we want them (and in many areas, the complete OPPOSITE of what we want)I have definitely been growing a testimony of trusting in Heavenly Father's plan. He has given us so much and when he does take away I'm learning more and more that it's to help us appreciate even more what we do have.

Sara said...

Your post made me cry Ashley! Infertility is one of the hardest trials to go through. I continue to be amazed at how strong you are and the incredible faith that you have! I truly believe Heavenly Father is aware of each of us and cares about the righteous desires of our hearts. Thanks for being such an example to me, helping me remember how blessed I really am, and for being such a great friend. Love ya tons!

Vicki said...

You are such a sweetheart, Ashley. I just love you so much. Thanks for sharing and being such a GREAT example. I miss you soooo much. VIcki

The Crazy Clawson's said...

Ash, you are so cute...seriously life just isn't what we have planned sometimes...and you totally nailed it on the head when you say it is not up to us...we have a had a rough few months ourselves an honesly i can say it has sucked...but in a weird way, you do find joy in trials..you have always just been so optimistic and so kind....thanks for being such a great friend, and great example to me...tal kto you soon

Sarah said...

thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts ash:)

I echo the comments about blessings and knowing that we are being watched over...even when trials are right in our face. You are tough as nails, LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Ashley! You are such an amazing woman! Thank you so much for sharing this thought/inspiration. I truly treasure having strong friends in the gospel who display such strong faith in the Savior and our Heavenly Father...you're one of those friends! Miss you girl! I'm glad I came across your blog!