Monday, April 21, 2008

A training we will go.....

This picture of a random guy I found on google images will be me in 7 weeks. On June 7th I will be starting and finishing the Salem, Utah sprint triathlon. I know you are thinking to yourself "is she crazy?" I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have no problem with the biking or running part it's just the swimming that I am rusty at. Really I haven't done a lot of laps in my time but I still know how as long as I practice and have the right techniques. That is where my husband comes into the scene. He was part fish when he was born I swear, he loves swimming and it comes naturally for him. So with that in mind I have him as my personal trainer to help and guide me so I don't drown. I started training a week ago and from the first day I was pretty bad and drinking a ton of water in the mean time. But since then I have accomplished the 1/2 mile swim and did it in like 30 minutes. I really don't care what my time will be on this race because it's my first one and I just want to finish it. Each year I make a goal to accomplish like this one. The last 2 years I did a 1/2 marathon and 3 years ago I did a bike ride to raise money for Diabetes which was 60 miles total. That one was insane also but a wonderful accomplishment. For me, having a goal to work towards that makes me push myself is very invigorating. So here is to the next 7 weeks of training..........wish me luck!!!

(For those of you who are wondering how long a sprint triathlon is it's: 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run in that very order.)

4 comments:

Scott and Megan said...

holy shizatch, ash! congrats on your enthusiasm and insanity! I am so proud! I'll just watch by the sidelines eh?xoxo

Heather Ballard said...

You do not need to be nervous at all. You are in incredible shape. It will be much more fun than that 60 mile bike ride because it will go by way faster. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know. I used to do them quite a bit a few years back.

Sarah said...

you rock Ash!! Maybe one of these days we can do one together!:)

Jamie said...

Swimming in open water definitely takes some getting used to. Lucky you that you have Todd to help with your training. Kyle and I both started from scratch with the whole swimming thing. Where do you train?